An Accomplished San Mateo Family Law Firm Represents Victims of Domestic Violence
Looking out for the safety of clients in the Bay Area
If you or another member of your family has been the victim of domestic violence, you need the help of a skilled law firm to protect your well-being. At the Law Offices of Lisa M. Dugoni, APC, we advocate for your safety in court and help you set up the proper restraining orders against the abusive party.
Types of abuse
Abuse can take many forms, and it's not always necessary for your abuser to make physical contact with you for the actions to be considered domestic violence in the state of California. At our firm, we represent clients who have suffered from numerous forms of abuse, including:
- Physical violence -- This can include any form of physical assault, such as choking, biting, pushing, shoving or sexual harassment.
- Psychological abuse -- This type of domestic abuse involves the threat of violence. It encompasses verbal harassment, destruction of property, stalking, and threatening phone calls or messages.
How we help
The best protection against domestic violence is to get a restraining order from the courts. Our firm helps clients establish these restraining orders and provides support throughout the process. For domestic violence cases, the major types of restraining orders are:
- Emergency protective order -- These orders protect people against physical abuse, harassment or stalking, but the protection only lasts for 72 hours. They are available 24 hours a day from the police.
- Domestic violence restraining order -- This is an order of protection that lasts much longer and is applicable against spouses, ex-spouses or anyone else with whom you have been intimately involved.
- Temporary restraining order -- A temporary restraining order protects individuals against abuse for a limited amount of time, usually until a court hears further evidence on the case and decides what the next move should be.
Get the domestic violence protection you need today
If you or a loved one has been the victim of domestic violence, call the Law Offices of Lisa M. Dugoni, APC at 650-356-1180 or contact us online to schedule an appointment today to get the help you need as soon as possible.